Give The Winter Blues The Boot!

Life After Winter Break Doesn’t Have To Be A Drag


Often times we become overwhelmed with the demanding tasks of teaching and learning, we forget about integrating “me time” into our busy schedules. It's essential we live a life that gives a return on our investment in order to remain effective in our practice. If you focus only on one component of life, you are guaranteed to reap the benefits of your efforts. However, the remaining aspects of your life will lack vitality and sustaining power! I'd like to share with you three activities I believe that are essential to finding your happy place!

Change Your Weather forecast!

Exercise Regularly

As an educator I find it difficult sometimes to keep or maintain high energy levels. The thought of not having energy to effectively support others in my role as a literacy coach is exhausting. To avoid the winter blues, I established a daily routine to create the sustaining energy that I need to be productive. I chose to exercise at least four to five times a week for 30 minutes. According to Carlton Athletics, working out regularly improves brain function, memory, and increases productivity. There are many more benefits to exercise that contributes to our overall health. Working out enhances our disposition and personal outlook, due to increased endorphins. It’s true! I stopped exercising for a week recently during the break, doctor’s orders. As a result of not working out, my energy level was very low and I wasn’t enthusiastic about returning back to work. I saw the worst in every situation. Ha! I was a wreck! It wasn't the best position to be in. We are all human and sometimes we experience mini set backs. But... with the right attitude and determination, I was able to get back on track!

This week, I can resume my normal exercise routine. Exercise does the body good. Healthy food choices can also boost your energy levels. In my workout accountability group, we encourage each other to follow the 80/20 rule, in which we eat healthy 80% of the time and the remaining 20% we eat our guilty pleasures in moderation. #nojudgement! You can do anything you put your mind to. Therefore, I encourage you to immerse yourself in whatever gives you your mojo back. If you are not an early bird like me, start your morning exercise with your students! A little “Go Noodle” or yoga will stimulate the brain and brighten your outlook. It’s amazing what 10 or 15 min can do!

Spend Meaningful Time With Those Whom You Love.

I enjoy spending time with my family. It brings me joy and comfort to know I have someone to share my hopes and dreams with. I believe that a family that plays and prays together, stays together. It nurtures and strengthens relationships immensely. Spending time with those, whom we love, removes the tension of life's challenges, and replaces it with joy and relaxation. Including free time in our routine increases love and affection towards our significant others. Life is a precious commodity that we cannot replay. Protect your time, by planning ahead, commit to the process and stay in the present moment. Creating a balance between work and home promotes personal fulfillment and internal peace. As you are planning free time to spend with others, don't forget to carve out time for yourself.

Martin's List of Things To Do!

Write a personal mission, and create steps towards fulfilling your passion

Finish that book you didn't complete last summer

Go to Starbucks

Take a walk in the mall "shoptherapy"

Walk around the neighborhood

Get a pedicure


Start a hobby


Stay Grounded By Reading Uplifting Text.

Stay grounded by reading inspirational books that stimulates positive thinking and renders personal affirmation. The level of enthusiasm and spiritual connections are necessary to combat my day with grace. Reaching the best version of myself is a priority, therefore I read material that evokes a sense of consciousness and compassion. It is important to stay true to who you are. When we take the focus off of living an authentic life, we begin reaching for unrealistic expectations that goes beyond what we are capable of aspiring to in that moment. Reading motivational text creates a shift in your thinking and enhances your mood and overall outlook on life. Keeping the right perspective, helps us to gain patience and extends love and compassion towards others.

#educator #motivation #energysupport

Featured Posts